7 Invaluable Life Lessons that I Have Learnt from my Father

 

It was Father’s day on 20th June. That is when I was planning to write this article to surprise my dad. But procrastination didn’t let me. Then I realized I didn’t need Father’s Day to write about something so important.

We often view our parents or at least expect our parents to be perfect. What we fail to understand is that they’ve lived their own lives, made their own mistakes and learnt a lot of things along the way. We also have the right to live our own lives and make our own mistakes but gaining a little insight into what life and world could be like wouldn’t hurt. Nobody has a manual on life. But there are people who can help you figure it out. 

So here I am, sharing with you some invaluable lessons about work and life taught to me by my father.

 



ALWAYS HAVE A VISION

Know what you want to achieve or where do you want to go with a particular idea. This is important not only for work but life as well.

Having a long term vision is important because that just changes your whole perspective on things. It enables you to see the bigger picture. But in this process, we often lose sight of what’s important.

So for me, vision does not necessarily mean knowing where I’ll be 5-10 years down the line. It is the ‘why’ to my ‘what’, i.e. having a vision means having the answer to ‘why I’m doing what I’m doing and where is it going to take me or someone else’.

My father taught me to strike this balance.

 

NEVER STOP LEARNING

If you stop learning, you stop growing.

By learning, I don’t mean reading academic textbooks. Learning is such a broad term that it can include almost everything you do or wish to do in life. It has the power to shape the person you become. So, choose what you want to learn wisely.

 

FOLLOW YOUR PASSION BUT SMARTLY

Everyone wants their passion to be their profession. While doing what you love is important, it is equally important to be smart about it. Always evaluate your options, ask questions and research properly. It is said, “Happiness is the new currency.” I undoubtedly agree. But we also cannot deny the fact that money is still important to survive in this world. Consider all grounds so that you don’t give yourself the chance to regret your decision.

My father says, “Follow your heart but take your brain along with you.”

 

DON'T FEAR FAILURE

When I was young, I had joined a summer camp and I had to play cricket. I didn’t know anything about it so I didn’t go that day. To this day, my father keeps on bringing up that incident to teach me never to fear not being good at something and never to care about what others would think if you fail.

He also quotes a very famous saying:

गिरते हैं शहसवार ही मैदान--जंग में

वो तिफ़्ल क्या गिरेगा जो घुटनों के बल चले

(Only a horse rider falls in the battleground, not a child who crawls on his knees.)

The meaning being you fall/fail because you’re out there trying to do something.


SPEAK

Speak when you want to put your ideas forward. Speak if you have a doubt. Speak to ask questions. Speak to communicate what you’re feeling.

Some things need to be taught. Other things can be learnt from example. For this lesson, my father leads by example. If he has knowledge about a subject and he thinks his ideas can make a difference, he says so. During arguments or disagreements, he makes sure his point is heard.

However, another important thing I’ve learnt is to be careful while speaking. Your tone, your words, your body language, the people, the subject- everything matters. Don’t hurt sentiments.


ALWAYS REMEMBER HOME

As you progress in your life, you may go to different places or meet new people. But don’t ever forget where you came from. Remember your roots. Remember the people who helped you begin your journey.

Success sometimes changes people negatively. In order to prevent that, don’t lose sight of who you were and who you are.

Also, no matter where you are and what is happening, nothing feels like home! It can be a place or a person. But home is home.


ENJOY LIFE

This is the most basic yet the most significant lesson. In our struggles, our quest to achieve and be successful, we often forget to live.

After my last birthday, my father came to me and said, “You need to go out there and enjoy this phase, meet new people and do what you love”, with a caution obviously, “but be careful.”

He also tells me, “Don’t be afraid of friendships. Even if you’ve been hurt by 5 people, you’ll surely have those 2 people who make everything better.”

The point is that even after all the struggles and hurt, life is worth living. There is so much more- so many beautiful places, beautiful people, beautiful memories waiting to be created.

 

                             


 Apart from all these, I’ve also inherited compassion and kindness from my parents. I believe we all need help because of which we all need to help.

There’s so much more to learn and experience. As I live my life, I may make mistakes or may not do everything perfectly. But all that I’ve learnt from my parents would definitely make me stronger in my journey, if not make the journey easier.

 

What is the most important life lesson you’ve learnt from your parents?

 

 

 


Comments

Popular Posts